If you're the DIY type who likes to save money by skipping trips to the salon, you may have some experience with at-home waxing. Kits like MOOM – Organic Hair Removal Kit with Rose Essence (Spa Formula) make it a relatively simple process, but if you're not taking a few precautions beforehand, you might not be getting the results you expected. Here are five tips for better waxing.
1. Let it grow. It kind of sucks, but hair needs to be at least 1/4 of an inch before you wax so the formula can get a good grip.
2. Exfoliation is necessary. To get a smooth wax, exfoliate the day before with Dermalogica – The Ultimate Buffing Cloth, then once again right before you wax.
3. Don't wax right before a big event. Glamour Magazine's beauty blog points out that irritation and ingrowns can happen right after, and you don't want to bare those.
4. Test the temperature. Can you imagine spreading burning hot wax on your legs by accident? Check the temp on your wrist first.
5. Smooth it on in the direction of hair growth. This will ensure that the hairs are all going in the same direction, so you can pull the opposite way when removing the strips.