During the summer months, the last thing you probably want to do is whip out your blowdryer and flat iron and try to heat your hair into submission. Standing in the bathroom with hot air and tools near your face is enough to make any girl scream when it’s sticky and warm outside. But how are you supposed to look cute without using your go-to style methods? Try one of these awesome new hairstyles – all of which are hotter than the temperatures outside.
1. A messy top knot. Top knots are some of the easiest styles to create, and they’re starting to get more popular as women search for ways to get their hair off their necks. Celebrities have been sporting the look for months now, like Julianne Hough, who twisted her tresses into a messy top knot and secured her bangs with bobby pins at a recent event. The bonus of this style? If you use a hair styling product before tossing it up, you’ll have great waves the day after.
2. A braided side bun. Charlize Theron has relied on this look on the red carpet, and Allure Magazine reports that it’s easy to pull off yourself with a couple of tweaks. Just part your hair as usual, then create a ponytail on the opposite side, leaving out one section of hair from the side you parted on. Twist the ponytail into a loose bun, then take the loose section and braid it before wrapping it around your head and adding it into the bun. If it’s a little messy, that’s totally fine – just get rid of super annoying flyaways with a hairspray like Leonor Greyl – Structure Naturelle.
3. Beachy waves. You don’t have to spend a whole day at the beach to get this look (unless you want to, of course). Cosmopolitan Magazine reports that the humidity and heat will help bring out your natural texture, which makes this look a breeze to create. Just divide your hair into three sections and loosely braid each one. Remove the braids when they’re dry, then use a texturizing product like Jack Black – Sleek Finish Texture Cream. How easy was that?
4. Headbands or scarves. For an instant shot of sophistication, a headband or a scarf is perfect when you’re trying to keep your hair (especially bangs) off of your face in the heat. Celebrities like Katy Perry, Kirsten Dunst and Cameron Richardson have all been spotted wearing accessories like these – even on the red carpet! Allure recommends placing a skinny headband one inch back from your hairline for an orderly look, or try pulling your hair into a messy bun and tying a scarf around your crown after teasing. Perfection in a snap.
5. A side fishtail. Fishtail braids are hotter than ever, and they’re a great way to keep weighty hair off of your neck. To copy the look that Diane Kruger, Jordin Sparks, Elizabeth Olsen and tons of other stars have been rocking, divide your hair into two sections. Pull a piece from the outside of the left section and bring it over to the right, then take a piece from the outside of the right section and bring it over to the left. Keep pulling after each piece and continue until you reach the end of your hair. Secure with an elastic, then rough it up a bit with your fingers for a carefree texture. A bit of Hamadi – Shea Spray will add extra softness and shine.