Even if you’re diligent about sticking to a skincare routine and have a flair for applying makeup flawlessly, you might still be doing your skin a disservice if you’re guilty of any of these bad habits. Take a look at our list – if you ever catch yourself doing any of these activities, cut it out and take action!
1. Skipping sunscreen. You’ve heard it before, but it’s worth repeating. Sunscreen is essential for protecting your skin against harmful UV rays that can cause cancer, fine lines, wrinkles and a dull complexion. It’s not hard to apply a product like COOLA – Face SPF 20 Mineral Sunscreen Unscented Moisturizer before your makeup every day, and exposed areas of your body should be coated too. Even on cloudy days and in the winter!
2. Sipping from straws. It seems harmless, but pursing your lips around a straw can set you up for fine lines and wrinkles around your mouth as you age. Skip drinking from them as much as possible, or just be sure not to pucker up when you’re sipping.
3. Ignoring your hands and neck. You might be paying a lot of attention to your face, but the skin on your hands and neck is just as delicate. These areas are just as prone to signs of aging, so treat them with as much care as you do your visage. Slather your face serums and moisturizers onto your neck, then follow up with a hand cream like Philosophy – Pure Grace Hand Lotion.
4. Falling asleep with your makeup on. Not only will your pillowcase get messy, but your pores could become clogged, resulting in breakouts and irritation. If you can’t wash your face before bed, at least use a makeup-removing wipe.
5. Popping your zits. While those whiteheads definitely aren’t doing your face any favors, popping them only makes the problem worse. You could spread the bacteria or create marks that may take a long time to fade. Treat blemishes with acne products with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, and keep your hands off!
6. Biting your nails. Not only does this create unattractive fingers, but it can cause infections if you regularly pull hangnails or bite too close to your nail beds. To make your fingernails less tempting to bite, keep them polished with Lippmann Collection – Nail Lacquers and carry a file in your purse to fix breaks that you’d otherwise try to treat with your teeth.
7. Smoking cigarettes. Duh! As if these weren’t bad enough for your health, they also negatively affect the look and feel of your skin, aging your complexion much faster than if you were a non-smoker. Get help quitting – it’s worth it!
8. Eating junk food. People used to think it was a myth that junk food can cause breakouts, but recent scientific research has proven that processed carbohydrates and sugars really can make your acne worse by stimulating oil-producing hormones called androgens, reports Allure Magazine. Eat high-protein foods and whole grains instead, and you should see an improvement in about six weeks.
9. Taking long, hot showers. Yes, it’s very relaxing to unwind in a steamy shower, especially when you have luxurious bath products like the Whish – Lavender Dream Collection, but staying for too long in a shower that’s too hot can dry out your skin, making it blotchy and itchy.
10. Squinting. Your eyes are the features that are most likely to make you look older than you really are if you don’t take care of the skin around them, and squinting is one of the most offensive things you can do to the area. It creates creases, fine lines and wrinkles when done on a regular basis. Always wear sunglasses and use a rich eye cream at night.