Even the most glamorous celebrities commit fashion and beauty atrocities on occasion. If A-listers can go wrong on the red carpet, there’s a chance that all women are guilty of making beauty errors every now and then. Here are a few common mistakes that many ladies make, and ways you can fix the problem.
1. Using the wrong color of foundation. According to Glamour Magazine’s beauty blog, this is one of the worst beauty crimes you can commit. Too dark of a shade can make you look dirty, while too light a color can wash out your complexion and give you a ghostly appearance. The news source suggests taking a picture of yourself wearing the foundation with the flash on. This should give you an idea of how you really look in the color. A loose mineral foundation might help you avoid applying too much.
2. Applying conditioner all over your hair. Many women use conditioner like shampoo, starting at the top of their heads and working their way down. However, Real Simple Magazine reports that doing this is not only wasting product, but can make your hair appear flat and greasy. That’s because it’s the end of your strands that get damaged and dry – not your roots. Use a conditioner, starting near your ears and working your way to the ends of your locks.
3. Using too much fragrance. It’s normal to become desensitized to the smell of your own perfume after wearing it so frequently, but that doesn’t mean other people can’t smell it. Allure Magazine recommends limiting your spritzes to three sprays for an eau de parfum and four for an eau de toilette.
4. Wearing the same shade of eyeshadow up to your brows. This is truly a beauty “don’t.” Glamour Magazine suggests stopping at or slightly above your creases with a shadow. Use a darker color to add depth in that area, then add a lighter color to your brow bones.
5. Overplucking your eyebrows. Real Simple Magazine suggests that many women do this because they’re standing too close to their mirrors. Being that close allows you to see every single stray hair, but it doesn’t let you see the big picture, meaning you can’t keep track of the overall shape of your brows. To fix this problem, simply step back after plucking a few hairs to ensure that your brows are still proportional to your face.
6. Orange self-tanner. Many women think layering on the self-tanner will give them a deeper tan, but oftentimes it simply gets too dark and becomes fake looking. Allure Magazine suggests going only a shade or two darker than your actual skin tone, and mixing moisturizer into the self-tanner if you’re worried it’ll be too dark. Try using Self-Tanning Lotion, which is designed for easy application.
7. Attacking breakouts full-force. If you’ve ever gotten a pimple, chances are you attacked it with products and kept reapplying hoping that they would work faster to get rid of it. However, Real Simple Magazine points out that doing this can burn your skin, creating redness, dryness and irritation that’s even uglier than the breakout. That’s because the ingredients in many products continue working all day, so overuse gives your skin too much. Follow the directions on the product to avoid having this happen.