There’s nothing quite like New Years to bring out the best in people. Everyone wants to start off the new year afresh, whether it means amping up your workout routine, vowing to cut down on your chocolate intake or even to take a few more risks in life. If you’re already creating a list of resolutions for 2012, you might want to include a few beauty-related tasks to ensure that your skin, nails, hair and body get the treatment they deserve. Here are some ideas to consider, inspired by The Beauty Department.
1. Wear sunscreen. Every. Single. Day. Although many women have been bombarded by the media when it comes to how damaging the sun’s rays are, that hasn’t stopped some from skipping the sunscreen. Ensure the protection of your skin by slathering it on in the morning as part of your routine – not just before you’re going to the beach. Makeup like Dermablend – Cover Creme SPF 30 will ensure that you’re getting coverage in more ways than one.
2. Fake it, don’t bake it. If you’re still heading to the tanning bed to get your glow on, cut it out already! Tanning beds are no safer than the sun, and some experts argue that they can do even more damage since you’re receiving direct exposure. Get a faux bronze look by using self-tanners like Self-Tan Towelette. These make the application process a breeze and they won’t leave any tell-tale streaks.
3. Exfoliate at least once a week. Getting rid of dead skin cells is the key to a glowing complexion that’s not dull or flaky. Use an exfoliating scrub for your face once or twice a week, and a rich scrub for your body in the shower. Get Fresh – SPA Sugar Body Scrub is the perfect treat.
4. Find your signature scent. There’s nothing like a fresh fragrance to remind people of you even when you’re not around, but it’s not possible if you’re always switching up your perfume. Take the time to find out what smells best on you, then invest in a few different products in the scent to ensure that you’re always exuding the aroma.
5. Don’t go to sleep without taking off your makeup. Leaving makeup on while you’re in bed at night is never a good idea. Your pores can become clogged, leading to acne, irritation and an overall messy complexion. Even if you’re too tired to wash it all off, keep a stash of wipes near your bed and use it to gently remove any product. Rilastil – Daily Care Make-Up Removing Wipes are the perfect thing.
6. Clean out your collection. Now’s the perfect time to go through your medicine cabinet, makeup bag and toiletry stash and get rid of anything old. Most products have an expiration date on them, but if you can’t remember when you got it, it’s definitely worth tossing. Expired products won’t work as well and could cause problems for your skin if you continue to use them.
7. Embrace your hair’s natural texture. Your strands could use a break from heat tools every now and then, so you should become comfortable with your hair’s natural state. That doesn’t mean you have to skip products altogether – a great anti-frizz serum like Leonor Greyl – Serum de Soie Sublimateur can do wonders.
8. Stop biting your nails. Every now and then, we all slip up and go to town nibbling that pesky jagged edge or hangnail – but you have to stop! Carry a nail file in your bag for on-the-go fixes and keep your nails polished and cute so you won’t feel the urge to bite them.
As long as you incorporate some or all of these beauty resolutions, 2012 should be your most beautiful year yet!